Emergence of Baranovichi is related to construction of the Moscow-Brest railroad. The town began its existence as a station of Baranovichi (the name of a village in the Novogroudok district) that had been commissioned in November, 1871.
At the beginning of the 1" World War Baranovichi was the place where the General Headquarters of the Russian army was located. In 1921—1939 Baranovichi had been part of Poland and the district's centre in the Novogroudok region. From September 1939 it had been part of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic. From December 4, 1939 it had been the centre of the Baranovichi oblast, a town subordinated to oblast authorities.
Today Baranovichi is an administrative, business and cultural centre of the Baranovichi district. The population of the town is 173 thousand people. There are about four dozens of mechanical engineering, machine-tool, construction, light and food industry enterprises operating in the town and their produce is well known not only in the CIS, but also in more than 50 far-away foreign countries. Knitters from Baranovichi were the first in the USSR to obtain the right to use Woolmark, the international quality sign, on tbeir knitted goods from natural wool.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]