In the XVI century Chashniki was a part of the Polotsk province in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. During the Livon War (1558Ч1583) by the order of Ivan IV Grozny a reinforced castle was built on the right bank of the Ula River (it was burned in 1878). In 1798 Chashniki passed to the Russian Empire.
Nowadays Chashniki is an administrative, economic and cultural center of Chashniki district. There are 17 industrial enterprises in the district: 7 of them are in Chashniki, 8 of them are in Novolukoml'. Hydroelectric power station in Novolukoml' is the most powerful station in north-west region of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). The oldest of them are: paper mill "Krasnaya Zvezda"/"Red Star" (115 years), food industrial complex, peat enterprise "The 1 of May", flax-scutching mill.
There are 61 sights of historical value, 4 architectural monuments, 31 archeological sights, 53 common graves, remained on the territory of Chashniki district. 14 sights in the district are included in the state list of historical and cultural treasures.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]