Chechersk was first mentioned in Ipatyev manuscript in 1159 as a town of Radimichi which Prince of Kiev Izyaslav Davidovich had returned to Prince of Chernigov Svyatoslav Olegovich. Since the middle of the XIV century Chechersk was a center of a volost (district) in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Since 1510 the town was a center of a district and had self-government rights. Since 1629 it had benefits to trade every Sunday and every day during the two-week trade fairs. In 1774 Ekaterina II presented Chechersk to governor-general count Z. P. Chernyshev who established there a serf theater and an orchestra. Since 1919 Chechersk was a part of Gomel province in Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, since 1926 it was a district center in Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic, since 1938 it was an urban settlement. Since 1971 it is a town with population about 8 000. The utility branch enterprises "Chechersk distillery", the state-owned special-purpose forestry enterprise, the public corporation "Chechersk agriculture" function in the town. The town hall, built in the second half of the XVIII century is situated in the center of the town.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]