The town was established by David Igorevich, a prince of Volyn, who was a grandson of Yaroslav the Wise at the very beginning of the XII century. David-Gorodok was part of the Tourov princedom and at the very end of the XIV century went together with other territories to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The town was destroyed and burned during the Russian-Polish War of 1654Ч1667. In 1796 David-Gorodok became an inhabited place of the Mozyr district. Its coat of arms was established. In 1836, when inhabitants had been transferred into the estate of petty bourgeois, the trade and economic life of the town became considerably more active. They built a shipyard and various warehouses there and the population started to trade actively with the whole of the Polesye, as well as with Warsaw, Danzig, Vilno, Kiev, Kenigsburg and towns up-stream of the river Goryn.
In 1921 David - Gorodok went to Poland. Since 1939 the town with the population of around 11 thousand inhabitants had become part of Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic and from January 15, 1940 it had had the status of a centre town of the David-)k district of the Pinsk oblast. From January 8, 1954 centre of the district in the Brest oblast and from January 19, 1961 it has been incorporated into the Stolin district. There survived the Georgievskaya wooden church built at the end of the XVII century Ч beginning of the XVIII century. The interior of the church has a wooden carved iconostasis. This sort of carving is called "The Belarusian carving". It was used to decorate not only interiors of numerous churches, but of the Palaces, too. In the second half of the XVII century several dozens of Belarusian craftsmen-carvers worked in Moscow alone, including the Armory Museum of the Moscow Kremlin.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]