For the first time it was mentioned in the documents in the beginning of the XVI century as a village in the compound of the Gory and Goretskoe estate. In the year 1619 L. Sapega, the Great Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania gave the right on the self-government to the inhabitants. In June—August of the year 1708 the Russian troops, headed by A. D. Menshikov and B. P. Sheremetiev settled down over there. From the 9th of July until the 16th of August 1708, Tsar Peter the First stayed over there. The hill, where the tsar's headquarters were situated, was named the Peter's hill. Another hill has been called Mazepa's hill, starting from the Northern War times.
In the year 1840 an agricultural school was established over there, later transformed into the Gory and Goretsky Agricultural Institute in the year 1848. Since the year 1925 the Goretsky Agricultural Institute has become the Belarussian Agricultural Academy.
The Gorky district was formed on the 17th of July in the year 1924. The industry is represented by 12 enterprises of different forms of ownership including such ones as: "The Gorki creamery and cheese factory" Open Joint-Stock Company, "The Gorki flax factory", "The Gorki forest economy", "The Gorki woodworking combine" Unitary municipal enterprise, "Prema" Open Joint-Stock Company and the others.
The main point of interest in Gorki — The Belarusian Agricultural Academy is an architectural and historical monument.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]