The town is known from the XIV century as a village of Porkhavo. Until the end of the XVIII century the town had been part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and from 1795 it had been part of the Russian empire. From January 15, 1940 it has had the status of a town settlement, the centre of the Ivanovsky district. "The Belsolod" Open Joint Stock Company, one of the leading enterprises for the production of brewer's malt in the Republic, is situated in Ivanovo.
The Ivanovsky district has glory due to its many celebrities. The name of F. M. Dostoevsky, the Great Russian writer, has relation to the village of Dostoevo from where the generation of the Dostoevskies originates. Here in spring of 1995 a monument to the outstanding writer was opened. 18 km to the west of Ivanovo is the village of Vorotsevichi, the birthplace of Napoleon Orda, composer, theoretician of music, writer and painter known in Europe. They are restoring Krasnyj Dvor, his family estate, and a monument to the great countryman has been opened in the town of Ivanovo.
There are 95 registered monuments of archeology, architecture and history in the district.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]