In the X—XI centuries there existed a small settlement in the place of which by order of Vladimir Vasilkovich, the prince of Volyn, Aleksa. the "town erector", together with other local inhabitants established in 1276 a new fortified settlement. Since 1366 Kamenets had been part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. From here, as well as from Brest and Grodno Vitovt made his raids into the domain of Jagiello. This resulted in that in 1390 the army of Jagiello had captured Kamenets where then the peace talks between the princes took place. It was in Kamenets, too, where in 1409 Jagiello welcomed an envoy of the Pope of Rome. In 1506 Kamenets obtained the Magdeburg right and possessed it till 1776. The Kamenets district formed within its modern boundaries in 1962. Today about 9 thousand people live in the district centre, the town of Kamenets.
The most known architectural monuments in the district are as follows: The Kamenets Tower ("The White Tower", 1276), The Trinity cathedral in Volchin (1733) where the last Polish king, Stanislaw August Ponyatovsky, was buried, the Palace and Park Ensemble of Sapegui-Pototskije in Vysokoje (1678—1680), the monument to Aleksa, the craftsman who "erected" the town, and the Saint Simeon's church.
There on the territory of the district is the State National Park called "The Belovezhskaya Pushcha", one of the oldest wood reserves in Europe which has been included in the list of the World heritage of the mankind and has been granted on decision of die UNESCO the status of a biosphere reserve.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]