Molodechno is first mentioned on the 16th of December, 1388, in the document sent by Novgorod-Seversky Prince Dmitry Olgerdovich Koribut to Grand Duke of Lithuania Yagaylo. Since 1413 the Molodechno was a part of Vilnya province. In 1567 in Molodechno were held preliminary talks of the representatives of Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Kingdom of Poland about the terms of Lublin Union (1569).
By the end of XVII century its population was 3 thousand, the town was one of the 20 largest towns on the today's territory of Belarus. During Russian-Swedish War (1700—1721) Molodechno was conquered by Sweden. In 1793 Molodechno passed to Russian Empire and was one of the boroughs of Vileysky uyezd (district). Till 1840 the town belonged to Minsk and later Vilnya province.
In 1811 in the Ogynsky palace a gentry's 5-classes district school was opened. After Patriotic War (1812) on the base of this school pro-gymnasium was formed (1832). In 1864 teacher's seminary was established. The seminary was later moved to Smolensk.
In 1873 Libavo-Romenskaya railroad was paved through Molodechno. In 1921—1939 Molodechno belonged to Poland. After West Belarus was regained by BSSR, Molodechno passed to the Soviet republic. On the 15th of January, 1940, the town became a district center of Vileysky region. Nowadays Molodechno is a large industrial, cultural, scientific and sport center of Belarus. The town is situates 72 km away from Minsk on the crossroads of Minsk—Vilnius and Grodno—Moscow highways. Its population is about 100 thousand.
The building of former seminary (1762), Pokrovskaya Church (1867—1871), the railway station building (1907) is of architectural value.
Some sights in the following villages are also worthy of notice: the village of Krasnoye (Catholic Church, 1912), Church in honor of Íîló Trinity (1809); chapel, the beginning of XX century), the borough Radashkovichy (Catholic Church, the middle of XIX century). Molodechno district is famous for its reserve-memorial "Vyazynka" in the village of Vyazynka, where an eminent Belarusian poet Yanka Kupala was born. The hut, where the Belarusian classic had been living, survived.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]