Mozyr was first mentioned in manuscripts in 1155 as a site of an ancient settlement. It was a part of the Principality of Kiev. Since the XIII century it was a part of the Great Duchy of Lithuania. In October 1615 citizens of Mozyr excited anti-feudal rebellion. The leaders of the rebellion were burgomasters Zhdan Musha and Ivan Kritsky, bourgeois Doroshka-Kravets, Ivan Volchok, Ostap Lavrenovich. The insurgents attacked the castle, killed some officials, elected a town head, and extended Magdeburg rights for all citizens. Power passed on to the town council.
Present-day Mozyr is a large industrial and cultural center. There are 145 enterprises, including refinery, machine-building and metal-working plants, woodworking enterprises, enterprises of light industry and food industry. Architectural treasure: a church and a Bernardine monastery (1645), a nunnery (1745), a building of a grammar school for girls (the end of the XIX century).
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]