For the first time it was mentioned in the written sources in the year 1136 (in the chronicles under the name: Prupoi, Propomen) as a part of the Smolensk Principality. From the XIV century Propoisk formed a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. At the end of the XVIII century a park of the landscape type was created in the outskirts of the town.
Starting from the 17th of July 1924 it is the centre of the Propoisk district. On the 23rd of March Propoisk was renamed into Slavgorod.
A present-time Slavgorod appears to be a beautiful, well-equipped town with the population of more than 8 thousand people.
A breakdown of the Chernobyl atomic power station became a serious trial for the Slavgorod district. A mass resettlement of the inhabitants from the contaminated areas has resulted in a liquidation of 24 populated centers, 12 of which have been buried.
The industrial potential is represented by 2 enterprises of the food branch: "Slavgorodsky creamery and cheese factory" Open Joint-Stock Company and "Slavgorodsky vegetables drying factory" Open Joint-Stock Company. In the centre of Slavgorod an ensemble of the Virgin Mary Christmas Church is situated Ч an architectural classicism monument (1791Ч1793 years ). The ensemble is formed by a temple, a 2-tiered bell tower, 2 household buildings, a church and parochial school building. A park adjoins to the church.
The numerous monuments in the populated areas of the Region are of a great interest.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]