For the first time it was mentioned in 1433 as a town included in a Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In the June and November, 1812 Napoleon visited Tolochin. Russian troops captured 600 French soldiers here. By Napoleon's order the flag of the Great Army was burned in Tolochin during the retreat. Nowadays Tolochin is an administrative, cultural and economic center of the Tolochin district with a population of more than 10 thousand people. There are starch, butter and cheese factories, textile mill, forestry enterprise, flax treating plant, cooperative industry and public services combines, 6 construction organizations operate in the district.
Sviato Pokrovskaya and Sviatoy Antoni churches work. Town showpieces are recreation and amusements park which was founded in XIX century. Park is of the square kind and is a memorial of the landscape art.
Guide to towns and district centers of Republic of Belarus. A.V. Varivonchik [etc.]